For months I’ve wanted to convert my handmade 7 x 4 foot sewing table into a drop-leaf table, simply because its massive size is sometimes more than I need in my 10 x 10 sewing studio.
Because the table was built from a thick sheet of plywood, trim molding, and screw-on Ikea desk legs, it was easy to modify.
- 4 packs of Narrow Utility Hinges
- 8 table legs
- I measured the height between the table top and the floor, because the two drop-leaves needed to be shorter than that distance so that they did not bump the floor when folded down.
- I used painter’s tape and a ruler to mark the cut lines. Make the leaves at least 2″ shorter than the height of the table.
- Ryan made the two cuts using a circular saw while I held the table. (His arms were longer.)
- I flipped the pieces upside-down when we were done, and then joined the pieces back together with hinges.
Above you see one table leaf attached with two hinges. I decided to add 2 more, for a total of 4, just for better stability.
- I had to get Ryan’s help again to flip the table right-side up because it was super awkward now that the leaves were attached by hinges.
Voila! With one leaf extended and one leaf dropped down, the table is the right size for my large cutting mat but small enough that I have a lot more room in the sewing studio.
In the spirit of total transparency, I will admit my frustration that the veneer top layer of the table splintered so much along each cut line.
I sanded the rough edges, and I need to stain them to match. The only problem? I mixed two stain colors when I made the table, and I have no idea what they were. This weekend I’ll play around with stains and hopefully find a good match.
For now, however, I’m happy with the result. The table is sturdy, functional, and most importantly – flexible!
In case you missed it:
- Studio Makeover, Part 1: Removing Temporary Wallpaper
- Studio Makeover, Part 2: Embrace White Paint
- Studio Makeover, Part 3: A Shelving Fail
- Studio Makeover, Part 4: Shelving Dilemma
- Studio Makeover, Part 5: Another Shelving Fail
- Studio Makeover, Part 6: Custom Shelving
- Studio Makeover, Part 7: Shelving Progress
- Studio Makeover, Part 8: Completed Built-Ins
- Studio Makeover, Part 9: Unifying the Cabinets
- Studio Makeover, Part 10: Perfecting the Faux Built-Ins
- Studio Makeover, Part 11: DIY Gold Cabinet Hardware
- Studio Makeover, Part 12: Furnishing my Serger Corner
- Studio Makeover, Part 13: Transforming a Cheap Plastic Roller Blind
The last glimpse I shared into the Janery Sewing Studio may have looked pretty decent, but there was a detail to the rental-friendly faux built-in shelving that needed to be addressed. Since January is a quiet time for the shop, I decided to pull everything off the shelves and finally really finish the faux built-ins.
Here’s what was lacking: I originally had cobbled together a wide shelf with a lip to sit across my bottom IKEA cabinets. I didn’t remove that before building the top shelving unit, but I should have. When I finally removed it, I was left with an unfinished area between the shelves on the top and the cabinets on the bottom, which you can see here:
Here’s how I finished it off:
I joined a narrow board to the bottom of the shelving unit using my new Kreg jig, and thank goodness I had it, because it made it so easy.
The middle cabinet was actually a tall IKEA cabinet that we cut in half, so the top was unfinished. I cut a thin piece of trim to fit that little gap above the top drawer, and used clamps to carefully glue it in place.
Then I completed multiple rounds of sanding and painting and sealing. When I was done, there was still a visible seam where the new board joined to the existing shelving, but I’m ok with that.
It doesn’t have to be perfect.
I’m just satisfied that the shelves are truly done now.
Next week: How I created my gold drawer handles to kick things up a notch.
PS: The Janery Winter Clearance sale is still going strong – save 50% on all the handmade pillows, pet beds, and accessories in my shop with the code CRAZY50.
In case you missed it:
You guys! I finally feel like a real, actual, legit handmade shop owner.
Not because I hit a certain number of sales with Janery, not because I have a certain amount of cash rolling in. . but because I can finally start cutting and producing the same items over and over again, thanks to my brand new Fabric Bolt Rack!
That means these guys finally have a home:
It’s not pretty yet – I still need to paint her and add some handles to the sides – but she’s functional, and with the holidays upon us, that’s all that matters.
Seriously though, I’m really excited about this. It was getting frustrating to not have a way to store larger quantities of fabric. As a result I was buying smaller amounts, and then only being able to make one or two of each item at a time.
SPOILER ALERT: If you take a closer look at the photos, you’ll get a sneak peek of some patterns that are coming to the shop ASAP!
Once the rack is truly finished (sanded and painted) I’ll be sharing a tutorial on how I built it. The whole thing was pretty simple, except for the troubleshooting I had to do mid-build. But now that I’ve done that, it will be super easy if you want to copy it.
This is just part of the progress I made in the studio last week. Tomorrow you get a Janery Studio Update!