Prior to falling in love at first sight, I hadn’t planned to share our experience of moving. But since this is, after all, The Borrowed Abode, I think we should share our experiences finding a rental home.
Now that we know our pets may be the only obstacle between us and our next “borrowed” abode, we’ve prepared a letter to share with all prospective landlords and realtors. Ryan and I put our heads together last night and realized that we’re awesome tenants. Here’s the scoop:
Dear Prospective Landlord,
We are a professional couple in search of a temporary home to call our own for 2-3 years in the Vienna, VA area. Here’s a little bit about us:
For the past two years I’ve rented a small condo in the Del Ray area of Alexandria, but my boyfriend and I are now looking to move to a single family home close to work. Vienna is our primary choice because of its small-town feel, and its proximity to the W&OD trail and our Tysons Corner and Reston offices.
We’d like to ask you to please consider renting to us. We do have two 50 pound dogs and one cat. In addition to the security deposit, we are prepared to offer a significant pet deposit, as we know that the pets can be worrisome to a prospective landlord.
Additionally, please consider the following:
- Our approach to renting: Ryan and I believe in caring for a rental home as if it were our own, and take the care and maintenance of both the interior and the exterior it very seriously. We always pay our rent on time. If you have a moment to visit my blog, The Borrowed Abode, you will see that my primary hobby is blogging about interior design and home improvement in my rented home.
- Our dogs: Our dogs, ages 8 and 12, are very well trained, and have never caused any type of damage in any home they have lived in. Both have been trained to step on a footstool to look out the window, rather than jump up on window sills (a common problem with many dogs). I keep their nails trimmed short to avoid problems with hardwood floors, and they are crate trained. They have lived with me in spaces as small as a 600 square foot condo, and all previous landlords can provide excellent references.
- Our cat: Our cat is older, very friendly, litter-box trained, and likes to go outside on walks with the dogs.
- Pet hygiene: As a former veterinary hospital manager, I take animal health and hygiene seriously. All our pets remain on flea preventative year-round, and are de-wormed biannually as recommended by the CDC.
- Landscaping: We enjoy gardening and landscaping work. We would keep the exterior of the home clean and attractive, and would be interested in planting flowers/bulbs to increase the curb appeal (if permitted).
We can provide excellent landlord references, if you would like to contact any of them with questions about their experience renting to us with our pets.
So what do you guys think? Would you want to rent to us? I know we would!