The arrival of February is always bittersweet for me. January feels like such a hopeful month, the month where you make a clean start for the new year, and I love that feeling. It also feels quiet to me, because spring seems so far away.
This January I announced my intention to set monthly goals rather than sweeping year-long resolutions, as I embarked on My Own Personal Happiness Project.
How’d I do with my January goals?
1. Clear the clutter – I successfully completed this task early on, but it doesn’t mean we’re done getting rid of things. I am always looking at spaces, analyzing if I really, truly need the stuff in them.
2. Finish abandoned tasks – This was a tough one. I started out really motivated and energized, like so many of us do in the early days of January. In January I had only one free weekend, the rest were spent traveling or packed full of small business activities. A week-long business trip to Florida didn’t help either, but at least I got some good business advice out of it.
Here’s what I accomplished:
- Finished an overdue hand-sewed gift for a good friend
- Hung hooks in the coat closet
- (Re)Organized basement work room
- Spackled all walls and prepped for touch-up paint
- Changed out the dresser in my office/dressing room; reorganized office, started building a “reclaimed wood” desk
- Blogged: No-sew applique pillow cover tutorial
- Blogged: Fancy flour sack towels tutorial
- Solved my cutting board storage issue
- Welcomed my first blog sponsors
What I worked on, but still didn’t finish:
- Blog re-design
- Re-wire a vintage lamp for the living room
- Remove Kitchen Shelf Fail and replace with art
- Reupholster the dining chairs
- Sorted wedding photos for those last pesky wedding posts
- Organizing my sewing studio once and for all
- Improving the pet feeding station
There’s more accomplished tasks, like making long-overdue doctor’s appointments, but they’d be boring to blog about.
Because I made progress, but not enough, I’m extending the goal of Finish Abandoned Tasks into February so I can tackle these items:
- Wedding blog posts that I never wrote. If I don’t do them this month, I’m not allowed to do them at all.
- Finish reupholstering the damn chairs.
- Finish rewiring the lamp.
- Touch-up paint.
- Finish decorating my office. This involves several projects.
- Start working on the guest room (again). This requires: finish organizing Janery products.
- My friend’s dog beds (a year or more overdue).
- Bedroom: Re-hang art.
The second big goal, exercising, is needed because I’ve become too sedentary. Working a day job and working on my own business & blog at night means that I make less time for activity. As a result I’ve gained weight in the last year, and especially in the holidays this winter. Buying new clothes because your existing ones don’t fit comfortably – that’s not economical. So it’s time to take action!
I scored a Groupon for 10 yoga classes for $35, so that’s going to help me kick off my month of exercise. I’ve taken a “before” photo to help with motivation, and will share it with an “after” photo at the end of the month. Eek.
How did you do with your January goals, or your new year’s resolutions? Are you setting goals for February or working on your own Happiness Project?
For awesome updates & exclusive discounts on Janery pet beds, please sign up for my newsletter!