To Press, or Not To Press?

There’s been a casualty in our wedding planning endeavors.

I have fallen head over heels for everything letterpress.

This is a problem, considering that beautiful letterpress invites cost significantly more than digitally printed – not to mention  DIYed – invites.  And considering we could have ordered about 500 full-package letterpress invites with what we’ve spent on our dog Charlie in the last two weeks, we have to pinch a few more pennies on the wedding than we initially planned.  (Sidenote:  Charlie’s now able to stand up without screaming in pain!  You can tell she notices, from the happy expression on her face every time she stands up.   It warms my little heart.)

The reason I’m having a tough time deciding if we should spend the dough on letterpress invites is because they’re so darn beautiful.  I think they would look so beautiful framed and on our walls after the fact.

Fleur de Lis Wedding Invite via Letterpress Light on Etsy

Of course, 99% of them will go to our guests, only one will stay behind for framing on our walls.

Letterpress Wedding Invite via Thomas-Printers

I loved this beautifully-designed letterpress invite created by Ladyfingers Letterpress, a company with a style that speaks to me, as well as a great social conscience.

Hand-drawn Letterpress Invite by Ladyfingers Letterpress

However, I just don’t know if the expense is worth it.  With the wedding only 3 months away, we need to make a decision soon.  What are your thoughts?  To press, or not to press?

For a peek at more wedding stationery I love, check out my board on Pinterest.

For awesome updates & exclusive discounts on Janery pet beds, please sign up for my newsletter!

10 thoughts on “To Press, or Not To Press?

1. guest

There are two DIY letterpress studios in Alexandria (with the hive) and Rockville. I took classes at Pyramid Atlantic in Rockville, and letterpressed my own invites.  Only cost was studio time and paper.

2. Julia

Well, if you could somehow DIY or trade for them, it’d be worth it. I really like the idea of maybe letter pressing something you can keep as opposed to invites (signage or something like that). I am also the cheapest person ever. Even was when it came to my wedding, so take my advice with a grain of salt. :o)

3. Renewed Upon a Dream

We didn’t do letterpress, it just wasn’t worth it to me knowing that everyone who got them would just end up throwing them away :(  I have some invites saved for framing & such still, but our wedding was 9 months ago & I haven’t do it yet.  Womp womp.  We haven’t ordered any prints of our photos either… we DID get our album a few weeks ago!  Progress!

4. jenn@ahomeinthemaking

First of all … poor Charlie! :(.
    Something to think about …. 90% of your guest won’t care. Is there a possibility that you could have one of your invites custom letter-pressed for your own keepsake? I completely understand where you’re coming from (our invite is in a shadow box with a bunch of other stuff from our wedding!), and letter press is gorgeous, but SO darn expensive!

5. Jess

Dont do it. After the wedding, you won’t care. You can frame an invite, and order something else that is pressed and gorgeous to hang on your wall for a fraction if the cost.

6. Stephanie

Oh I am so glad that Charlie is feeling better!!

I think you have to decide how important the letterpress invites are for you.  Is there something else in the plans that you don’t mind cutting back on to make up the difference?  Also (and I think someone else had this idea in the comments as well) could you trade?  Perhaps in product from your own shop or offer advertising space in your sidebar.

7. Kelly

I’m a big letterpress fan, too so I know how hard this can be!  Our wedding was so small that we just couldn’t justify the expense.  What we did get though was really gorgeous high quality paper and then went with a design that could have just as easily been letterpressed.  If you decide not to do it, you don’t have to compromise the look — just the imprint.  I’m so sad to hear about all of the troubles you’ve been going through with Charlie.  He is so lucky to have such loving, good pet parents.

8. thedistractedblogger

Glad to hear Charlie is feeling better!

Maybe just have the cover made for an advice book or sign for the wedding table. Also think about 10 years into the future, do you think your future self will be cooing as much over the invite as the pictures in your album?

Whatever you end up doing I am sure it will be beautiful!

9. Pingback: Choosing Wedding Invitations {The Proposed Abode} | The Borrowed Abode