Just when I thought I had everything figured out in our house, my brain had to go and get another idea.
Should I move my sewing studio to the basement, and put it where I’m currently in the process of setting up a reading nook / computer & crafting station?
I already determined that moving my computer to the basement, and away from my sewing studio, was a good move. I needed to separate blogging and sewing. But now I’m wondering if I should have accomplished it by putting my studio in the basement, and leaving the upstairs as my computer office / dressing room.
In some ways it makes more sense to have my personal office upstairs. When the mail comes, I’m inclined to take it to the desk in my current dressing room / studio – because it’s right there on the first floor. That’s where all my papers are filed, too. I also love the feeling of sitting at my desk, writing, while feeling the fresh breeze blow through the windows. That’s not an option downstairs.
For a while it’s been driving me crazy to have to share my dressing room space with my sewing studio – simply because I need my work space to be neat and tidy, but I can make a mess with my clothes. Sometimes I have to actually “clean up my room” before I can start sewing at night, which is not the most productive way to start a work night.
The biggest reasons that now have me considering a switcheroo are:
- It’s a bit awkward to have my sewing & workspace sharing the same room as my clothes. (See above.)
- Size. My studio is a bit cramped. There’s no good place for me to keep the ironing board (which stays open because you are always using it when you sew). Either it’s blocking my dresser/storage or it’s blocking my closet – I move it around daily. Moving my studio to the basement would provide better space for all the necessary parts.
- The wall-to-wall carpet in my studio makes for difficult thread & fabric scrap cleanup. The tiled floor of the basement is ideal – because all it takes is a sweep of the broom to clear the mess away.
Reasons it may not be a good idea to switch:
- Ryan’s still asleep. He may really not like the idea.
- I worry that I’m sort of taking over more than my fair share of the house. Moving my studio to the basement would really make 1/2 of the basement all my space, with my mark on it. Sewing detritus (threads, etc) might also make their way onto the couch, etc.
- It’s going to require a bit of work & time to make the switch.
- I had already figured out a fabulous plan for the basement that I was excited about 🙁
I just don’t know what to do. Thoughts?