Seriously Awesome Jewelry Storage

Happy Friday, y’all!  This week has been all about my sewing studio/office/dressing room makeover, and I’m finishing off the week with a project that I’ve been dying to spill the beans on for months now!

That’s right, months. This baby was the result of my first ever trash-on-curb-rescue, and as a matter of fact – it was the inspiration behind Ryan’s “What the Hell” posts.

Jewelry Display Organization Window FrameWhat’s that on the wall?  If you’re thinking it’s an old wooden window-turned-jewelry-display, you’re right! Oh, the day I proudly lugged not one, but two of those peeling, rotting windows across the street and into my condo, Ryan’s eyes rolled back in his head and he groaned in disbelief.  And despite Ryan’s . . . um. . . “encouragement,”  I’ve finally made it into a fabulous piece of decorative jewelry storage.

I forgot to take a true “before” photo, but here’s what it looked like after a ton of sanding.

The work was totally worth it.  Every time I pick out what jewelry to wear with my outfit, I feel like I’m shopping!  Gotta love storage that gives you that kind of a thrill.  It’s much more cost-effective than hittin’ the mall.

Upcycled Window Frame turned Jewelry Display Theborrowedabode.comI backed three of the window pane sections with coordinating Erin McMorris Wildwood fabric (you saw it earlier on my custom dry erase board) just for fun.  Most of the necklaces dangle from little cup hooks, but a few are strung over the old knobs that I picked up at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore on the cheap.

Two of the bottom panes got a fresh piece of screen so that all my hook earrings would have a place to dangle.

And some simple wooden dowels added more chunky necklace and bracelet storage on the sides of the window.

So what was the cost of all this?  Honestly it wasn’t much.  The window itself was free, and I already had the sandpaper and polyurethane on hand. All in all, it came to about $15.  For something that stores ALL your jewelry that well?  I’d say that is one seriously awesome deal.

So that’s my big fancy-schmancy idea that I’ve been carrying around with me for almost a year.  Next week I’ll share a step-by-step tutorial on how I made it. In the mean time, have a great weekend – and don’t forget, if you’d like some [free] advice on how to tackle a decorating challenge in your rented space, drop me a line!

PS:  If you’ve ever wanted to be able to hang long curtains without putting holes in the walls, be sure to check back Monday!  I’ve got a rental – friendly solution that I’m 99.5% sure is going to totally rock!

Update:  You can find the tutorial here.

For awesome updates & exclusive discounts on Janery pet beds, please sign up for my newsletter!

46 thoughts on “Seriously Awesome Jewelry Storage

1. jenn

Okay, two brilliant ideas in one day! I’m so impressed! This is awesome, and I think Ryan has this all wrong. He should be GRATEFUL that something so inexpensive makes you feel like you’re shopping. So much less money is spent this way. Maybe that’s just how I justify projects to Chris. Hmmm :).

2. Kerri

As I already said on Facebook, I love love love this!! Need one! My jewelry is all over the place because I just don’t have a good (and large enough) place to put it all. Off to rummage through other people’s trash now….

3. Stacey

Super Cute!!! I’m in the middle of greating something similar myself with an old cork board. I like your reused knobs! I may use that idea too, since I have a bunch out in the garage! I’ll have to send you a pic when I get mine done! Great job!!!

4. Christina @ The Scrappy Housewife

Thanks for leaving such a sweet comment at my blog. It must’ve been fate because I have desperately been looking for a site geared toward rental space living! I love your jewelry storage and I’ve got an idea in my head for something similar for hair accessories in my bathroom. Also, I checked out your thread storage post and it was such an “AH HA!” moment. I was just whining to the hubs that I needed something to corral all the thread I’ve acquired! I’ll definitely be checking out your blog more often and adding it to my feed!

5. Candace

I wanted to comment that this is a great idea for an old window! I did a whole post on what I did with old windows. I used them for our wedding, putting photos on the glass of us through the years. But I love this idea as well! Thanks for sharing! Check out my blog, I have a giveaway going on!

6. Sandy

I like your way of organizing your jewelry. Can you please say something about how you hung the window frame on the wall? I can see some sort of hangers in the photos, but I don’t know what they are.

7. Aurora

This totally kicks the ass of anything I’ve come up with for the same purpose. Tell him he needs to hold the eye-rolling until the actual finished project.

8. Aurora

P.S. I love those layered wood (Dymondwood?) earrings. My knitting needles are like that, but more of a bright rainbow-y palette. :P

9. Sarah

Oh wow, this is really neat — something like this would be ten times more functional than cluttered little jewelry box I’m using, and as an added bonus it’s pretty enough to hang on the wall like a piece of art. Nicely done and thanks for sharing!

10. Jen

Ooh-la-la…so beautiful & functional at the same time…love it! I have an old window pane (free also) waiting for some TLC like that. Hopefully I can do something as cool with it as you have done.

Joy!
    Jennifer

11. Anna

I love it! I’ve always loved old windows so that makes it even better. If I come across an old window, I might just make one. I have storage for my earrings that I love, but my necklaces and bracelets are a mess.

12. Danielle Z.

Oh yeah, this is amazing! I’ll either be looking for something like this in my ReStore or a thrift store or I’ll have to draw up a plan to build this myself. Thanks for sharing….absolutely awesome!!

13. Jen

You weren’t kidding, this is totally awesome! Seriously, made my heart skip a beat, in a great way!

Plus, I am uber envious of your awesome collection of bangles… sigh!

I am inspired! I have had a plan for my jewelry for too long that I have been putting off… thanks for that I push I needed!

xoxo!

14. Pingback: {Tutorial} Window Frame Jewelry Display | The Borrowed Abode

15. Pingback: A Few Spotlights | Making This Home

16. Pingback: Things to Write Home About – 3/26/11 | Feels Like Home

17. Pingback: Organizing: Jewelry » Penny Pickles

18. Scox

Great work! I’ve done mine with an old lace lingerie “thing” I had cut up and tacked onto a pinboard with the skirt hanging underneath – my non-backed earrings go on the lace through the holes, and the ones with backs get put on the skirt bit at the bottom for easy access – what do you do with your earrings that have backs and can’t be “hung”?

1. Jane @ The Borrowed Abode

Hi, thanks for commenting! For the earrings that have backs, I only have a
      few pairs – so I store them in a little container on the shelf below the
      window. That reminds me, I need to share that in my final segment covering
      this room makeover :) I’m a little behind on that!

19. Pingback: Guest Blogger: The Borrowed Abode | Two Become One

20. Pingback: 2011′s Most Awesome Projects | The Borrowed Abode

21. Kidzarme1

Awesome cute! I’ve made individual picture frames with screen to hang earrings, etc. but this goes way beyond that! Love, love, love it!!!!

22. KD

Love this – I’ve been searching all day on line for a “jewelry holder”.  This is just what I was looking for!  I have windows in my garage, so can get started this weekend.  Thank you for sharing!